The Gift ~ My Joy

Sunday’s are a madhouse of activity for me. Before and after the service there seems to be no end to the parents, volunteers, children, and friends telling me things, asking things of me, or reminding me things that need to be done during the week. The “to do” list seems long and the week ahead of me is set. But Tuesday, when I get into the office ready to work, I’ve forgotten all the stuff I needed to do. It’s true the mental to do list has disappeared completely and I struggle the rest of the week to try remember the things I said I would do. Sunday comes again and I remember the items that had needed to be done, the calls that should have been made, or the emails I wanted to seed –but didn’t.

Last Sunday, I was talking about this vicious cycle with a good friend. She recommended that I carry a clipboard with me on Sundays. I smiled and told I had for a while and it had even worked…till it had walked off. She then recommended I get a “pretty one.” I smiled again, thanked her for the suggestion, and mentally filed it away as something to do later.

This Sunday the same friend approached me during my pre-service preparations. “Here Liz,” she said as she shoved something into my hands. It was a beautiful clipboard and note pad. She had remembered when I had forgotten. I used the gift the rest of the morning making notes of people to contact this week and questions to take care of. There is a to do list on my desk waiting for Tuesday and me.

Comments