"Deadline" -Sunday Scribblings

Tick...tick...tick. Do you hear that sound? I do. Tick...tick...tick...it is the continual sound of each passing moment marking ongoing the march of time. It haunts my down time and reminds me that the July 1st “NaNoWriMo proof copy” deadline is closer than I think. I’ve tried blocking out the ticking with reading, TV watching, sleep, and hanging with friends.

For the past three years I’ve participated in the annual National Novel Writing Month challenge. The goal is to complete a 50,000 word novel over the thirty days of November. A self-publishing company has offered “winners” a free proof copy of their novel. They give six months for writers to edit, improve, and finish their stories before claiming the proof copy.

I have never attempted to claim the proof copy before. I’ve “won” all three year and had about 100 pages of a very scattered “pre” rough copy to show for my effort each time. The first story (2007) was about college roommates. It was weak and I shelved with no plans of looking at again. My 2008 story was a fantasy. I liked it; it had a neat concept but huge plot and world issues. It has also been shelved for now. I loved my 2009 story “Across Eldamar”. It was about a human girl (Abby) who on her 21st birthday is transported to the elven world of Eldamar. On discovering her elvish ancestry is required to complete the elves’ rite of passage.

I love the story. I’ve only editing a few sections, small parts that fit with Sunday Scribblings prompts. Procrastination isn’t helping and the deadline is looming close every second. But I will overcome and the story will be finshed! I'm not the only one with a deadline:


An Abby and Across Eldamar Story

Abby stood still, trying to focus. She had heard the King’s words but their meaning had escaped her. Adulthood in Eldamar was achieved by completing a mandatory rite of passage. Young elves had forty days to travel to all twenty elfenland cities. To prove success a gem had to be collected from each local and returned to the capital before sundown on the last day.

Abby was now caught up in this challenge. Her new family’s hopes and honour where tied in her success. In forty days she would be an adult or a failure. What would failure mean?

The End

For more deadline inspired writings visit Sunday Scribblings.

Comments

rob kistner said…
Oh my gawd, I'm still submerged here in NaPoWriMo 2010, and now you have me thinking of NaNoWriMo -- hellllllp!
;)

Congrats on your past successes...
...rob
Image & Verse
Dee Martin said…
You go! I participated for the first time this year and my "book" is shelved, at least for now. I plan on doing it again this year with a little clearer idea of what it entails. You are inspiring me!!
Unknown said…
Congratulations on completing NaNoWriMo. I've never completed. My excuse is Thanksgiving; I get bogged down with cooking and then the kids are home and forget it.

Your latest project sounds wonderful. I love Elves, dragons and flying saucers!

Keep writing!
keep your hopes up and your spirits high :)

there will be a win

Deadline - Decline