Boardgame Dilemma

I was recently given a wonderful monetary gift of appreciation which I greatly appreciated. It took me a while to decide how to use the funds. A logical part of me wanted to use it on debt but a wise friend reminded me that it was a gift and gifts should be used for gifts. Her comment allowed me to think about what I would appreciate most.  Half will go towards something special for the new place and the other half a new board game. Only, narrowing the spending options has created a new dilemma.

What game do I want? There are always few games on my wish list but which one do I want the most? I was able to eliminate a few choices. If another friend owns the game I can play it with them. If I have not played it, watched a video about it, or was interested in it before today it is not the game for this purchase. I also decided that a few games that I doubt others would be interested in playing can wait. There is no point owning games if there is no one to play them with.

With those limitations I have narrowed down the list to three games. All are expansions/variations to Dominion. I did a Rate the Fun review here. The three options will add new kingdom cards and some interesting changes to the game playing. I am not sure which one I want. All have good rating on Board Game Geek, no one I know owns but it also means I have not tried them. So I am asking for your help. Which one interests you? Which one would you want to play? Leave a comment to help me decide.

The Choices:

Dominion: Prosperity

 "Prosperity is the 4th addition to the Dominion game family. It adds 25 new Kingdom cards to Dominion, plus 2 new Basic cards that let players keep building up past Gold and Province. The central theme is wealth; there are treasures with abilities, cards that interact with treasures, and powerful expensive cards."
Dominion: Hinterlands

"Hinterlands is the sixth addition to the game of Dominion. It adds 26 new Kingdom cards to Dominion, including 20 Actions, 3 Treasures, 3 Victory cards, and 3 Reactions. The central theme is cards that do something immediately when you buy them or gain them."

Dominion: Dark Ages

"Dark Ages is the seventh addition to the game of Dominion...It adds 35 new Kingdom cards to Dominion, plus new bad cards you give to other players (Ruins), new cards to replace starting Estates (Shelters), and cards you can get only via specific other cards. The central themes are the trash and upgrading. There are cards that do something when trashed, cards that care about the trash, cards that upgrade themselves, and ways to upgrade other cards."

Word Count: 22,136/50,000

Comments