Day 19: Tuesday Tutorial Weeping Angel Tree Topper

Time seems to be a little more wibby-wobby timey-wimey today. I wrote most of this last Tuesday on the actually 19th but it didn't get uploaded till today on the Second Day of Christmas also Boxing Day.

Merry Christmas

Since I started the Whovian Christmas Special Countdown in 2014, I have wanted to made a weeping angle tree topper. The inspiration and first tutorial I found was The Creative Crossings from 2010. That was how I had planned to make my angel until I found Candy Girl's blog Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Stuff and Nonsense, where she creates a Weeping Angel with a different technique. It is her work that my attempt/tutorial is based on.

Supplies:
  • A tree topper angel
  • Stone spray paint. I used Natural Stone by Krylon
  • Scissors
  • Thread (needed to sew up the dress
  • Drop cloth/newspaper and a space to spray paint
Step 1: Research and Gathering Supplies
I read both of the linked tutorials before I started. It helped me plan out my own project and know what I would need. My Whovian tree is small and fits on my dresser. I knew I'd want a smaller angel then most stores...nine shops later I found the angel I used at Michaels. Actually that was the first place I looked and thought it was over priced. I then visited every store I could think of only to go back to Michaels.

 
I also started with Natural Stone in Charcoal, at the time that was the only option. Right before I was going to paint I decided see if I could return the can for a different colour (at a different Michaels). This time there was a larger selection. I was torn between limestone and granite. Depending on the reference material both could have worked but I ultimately decided upon the granite.

Step 2: Preparing the Angel
My angel had ribbons, embellishments, and that troublesome open flap.
 
With some work I was able to cut off the ribbons, Christmas bits, and the extra glue stuck to her hands. I then tried to close the opening of the dress. It worked but left a noticeable seam that bothers me.

Step 3: Set Up Painting Area
I had access to a great drop cloth and a work room I could use for a few days. Ventilation in important. Also, read the instructions on your can of spray paint for any specific directions and drying times.

Step 4: Paint and Wait and Repeat
Using the can's recommended sweeping motion to avoid drips I applied the first coat and let it sit 20 minutes. I probably should have waited 24 hours.
 
The second coat applied better. The wings, head, and hands which took the paint best and the velvet skit was a pain. I think that was to be expected.
 


Step 4: Position the Hands
I did this step before paint the third coat.

The third coat was applied just before I went to bed Monday. It probably needs another coat or two...maybe even primer or gesso before another coat. I don't like how the fabric looks with the paint. However, I really wanted the angel up for Tuesday so I could finish the tutorial. I might revisit the options this summer.

Step 5: Place Your Weeping Angel
Once the paint is completely dry, I waited 24 hours, it is time for your Weeping Angel to be placed on top of your tree.
Then sit back and enjoy who Whovian Christmas tree.

The BBC's official  Doctor Who 2017 Adventure Calendar
Countdown Till Christmas Special Airs: 6 sleeps
Countdown Till This Whovian (probably) sees the Christmas Special: 8 sleeps
Yesterday's Countdown Post: Day 18: Top Ten Moffat Monsters
Episodes Watched: ... Last Christmas, The Husbands of River Song, and The Return of Doctor Mysterio

Comments