Day 23: Top Ten Moffat Episodes

Congratulations to Ami, you were correct yet again with Wednesday's sketch.

With the Christmas special being Steven Moffat's last story as show runner (and I expect last time writing for Doctor Who, but who knows), I thought it would be a good time to look back on his run. I'm expanding on a post earlier this month about his best monsters. Today it is his best episodes. I am defining "best" as episodes I enjoyed the most. I'm also combining any two parters as one story. There have been a number of sites and vloggers making similar lists. I haven't always agreed with their order. If you have a different option leave a comment.

10) Last Christmas or The Doctor, The Widow, and the Wardrobe
It's just been a few days since I watched both these Christmas specials. I find them interesting in different ways. I like Father Christmas in the Last Christmas and there is a charm and humour in the Wardrobe episode that I did not appreciate the first time I saw it.

9) Heaven Sent
I don't really have much to say about the episode beyond it was one of my favourites from the season. I like the mystery and the lead up to Hell Bent, even if Hell Bent frustrated me.

8) Time Heist
I think Moffat does great stand alone episodes. I like the heist and mystery of the episode

7) The Zygon Invasion
I love this because of Osgood but there is so much good in the episode. The conclusion with the two boxes makes it great and worthy to be on this list.

6) The Day of the Doctor
Where to begin? The reunion of so many key actors, the nods to the past, having the John Hurt as the War Doctor, all wonderful. I think it was more than clever. It was a good balance of past and present. At the time I was wanting something else but the episode has become a favourite.

5) The Girl in the Fireplace
The Doctor is just fantastic in this and there is a horse on a space ship :) It is also the interactions between Madame de Pompadour and the Doctor that made this episode plus a heartbreaking conclusion.

4) The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
So good, if I could have three answers for number two this and everything after would tie.

3) A Christmas Carol
My very favourite Christmas special.

2)  Silence in the Library/The Forest of the Dead
It is often the next episodes I suggest when introducing friends to the Doctor

1) Blink
This should surprise no one.

The BBC's official  Doctor Who 2017 Adventure Calendar
Countdown Till Christmas Special Airs: 2 sleeps
Countdown Till This Whovian (probably) sees the Christmas Special: 3 sleeps
Yesterday's Countdown Post: Day 22: A Rant and Songs
Episodes Watched: ... The Next Doctor

Comments