Best of Books 2010

A good friend recently asked me to add book reviews and reflections to my blog. I'm taking the suggestion to heart for upcoming blogging year but for now a look at some of my favourite reads from 2010 and why.

I discovered this year my favourite non-fiction books are travel or challenge related memoirs. The first two books in this list were accounts of Christmas and Herkeling's encounters on the Camino de Santiago, a pilgrimage I want to take in 2014. The next two are challenge memoirs that challenged me. Apartment Therapy helped me begin to tackle some of my dislikes with my living space.

Non-Fiction
What the Psychic told the Pilgrim by Jane Christmas
I’m Off Then by Hape Kerkeling
A Million Miles –Donald Miller
The Happiness Project -Gretchen Rubin
Apartment Therapy -Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan

Fiction

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan -I like YA genre and this was a good introduction to the series. I just started the final book this week.
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd -This was my favourite read of the year. I loved the imiagry and story. I found myself thinking about the novel weeks later.

Those were some of my favourite books, now what were your favourite reads of 2010?

Comments

Unknown said…
The Count of Monte Cristo was my favorite book this year. I was a mazed by what Alexander Dumas did in this book, the extent of who Edmond Dontes was and what he did. and of course all the things that the movie left out.
Jecca said…
I simply cannot believe the amount of reading you do. One of these years, my goal will be just to beat you! :)

I think my favorites were probably the fiction novels by Robin Gunn, who I used to read in high school. Picking up those characters is like meeting old friends.
Elizabeth said…
Glo, I know the norm is that the book is better than the movie, would you agree with this for the Count of Monte Cristo. My real question is there more in the book than the movie showed?

Jess, I love Robin Gunn's books I think you even let me borrow the college years part of the series when we were at bbc. I want to comment on the amount of reading and you beating me total but everything reads very arrogant. I do believe that you could read more than me…but it would also be a sacrifice of other things you love and bring balance to your life so if you never read the most it’s still cool.
Jecca said…
You are perfectly right. I read about as much as 'keeping balance' will allow. I imagine my goal should not so much be the quantity of books as the quality and content of the read.

Yes, I believe I did let you borrow those. In the last few years she has written about Katie in three novels and those are the ones I completed. There always seems to be some gems of wisdom in each that remind me of truths I sometimes forget.