Best of Books 2011

Reading is one of my favourite ways to unwind and refresh. I love a page turner I can't put down. I appreciate when friends make book suggestions or participating in reading challenges because they introduce me to a whole new world. With that in mind, I looked over my list of books read over 2011. These are a few that stood out:

Non-Fiction
The Cheapskate Next Door –Jeff Yeager. He had a completely different way of thinking about money. It was good for me. It was a fun read full of real life examples, extremes, and practical suggestions.
Jesus for President –Claiborne & Haw. I found the concept challenging, enlightening, and refreshing. I read it too fast to fully engage with it but I am planning on re-reading it this year more slowly.
Against Medical Advice –James Patterson. I listened to this one as an audio book. It's the true story of a boy with Tourette's Syndrome and his family who struggled with medical establishment trying to help but often the "cure" was as debilitating and the symptoms.

Fiction
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn –Betty Smith. I just loved this story. It is a new read again Liz favourite.
The Soprano Sorceress –L. E. Modesitt. I started the first book of this fantasy series in December and am trying to find the third book. It was a neat world with a complex political and magical system and a great leading heroine.
The Princess Academy –Shannon Hale. It is a well told children's story with good characters, conflict, resolutions, and twists. I wish she would write more in this world. I like the author. I've read a few different things by her but only realized this year they were all by her...and actually re-read her chick lit. novel Austenland (which almost made this list) because I enjoy her style so much.
I’d Tell You I Love You But Then I’d Have To Kill You –Ally Carter. Another fun young adult series. I like everything she has written so far and I am looking forward to the next book in the Gallagher Academy to be released.
The Help –Kathryn Stockett. I signed this out of my library before it was announced that it would be a movie because one of the librarians recommended it. It was an interesting read. I remember enjoying it. The story is well told and the style was paced well. It was an interesting look at "the South".

So, those were some of my favourite books. What about you? Did you discover a new author or a favourite book last year? What were your best reads of 2011? Or do you have a book suggestion for me from further back? If so, please leave a comment, I love discovering new books.

Comments

Unknown said…
Some of my favorite books i read this year were: 1) the game of Thrones,Greg and I had been listening to this one as we traveled and finished it just as we were getting back from New Jersey on the 30th. 2) Twenty Years After the sequel to the three musketeers. this one was fun and I think was on a whole better then the first. 3) The Fool's errand I love love love Robin Hobb thank you lindy for introducing me to this author! 4) the Rookie, Scott Sigler has helped me understand and like foot ball a whole lot more thanks to his Galactic Foot ball league. Foot Ball has become an interstellar love with five species that play it is awesome I highly recommend it. it is any given Sunday meets star wars meets the godfather. and 5) Mansfield park. I love Jane Austen.