Reflections on the Introduction and Chapter One of the Sacred Rhythms: Longing For More

Two weeks ago I began a "no reading required book study" of Sacred Rhythms by Ruth Haley Barton with anyone interested. Not the normal name for a spiritual study groups but it addresses two issues I often have with small groups.

My first issue is that we often call a book study a "Bible study" when really we're not studying Scripture, we're focused on understanding an author's thesis on spirituality or Christian living. These can be great books with deep insight and helpful guidance but they aren't Bible studies. I've grown and developed as an individual and a Christ follower from small group book studies. I have even said to others "oh I'm going to Bible Study" since it was a quick explanation for the activity I was heading to, I expect there will be a time when I use this verbal shortcut again. However, when I think about the term "Bible study" it  means looking to and into Scripture.  This could be either by focusing on specific book (like how my church is currently going through John with Pastor Thomas on Tuesdays) or following a theme across the whole of Scripture; something like "forgiveness" or "grace." Sacred Rhythms isn't a Bible study. We will at times look at Scripture and it is the foundation of Barton's approach to spiritual transformation, but we are looking at her writings and hence the choice of "book study." I could have also gone with book club but I think of a book club as more fictional reading.

The second issue I have had in the past with book studies was the extra reading. I love reading but keeping up with weekly readings can be a challenge and not everyone reads at the same pace. I often never finish books required in study groups. I start well, for the first week or two, I do my best to keep up with the current chapter. Inevitably there is a week when things get busy, life happens, and I forget to read the chapter 'til an hour before the scheduled meeting. Or I don't remember 'til I'm on the way to meeting and I have guilt. Then I'm behind and it feels impossible to catch up. I am not alone in this and I have watched guilt cause people to stop attending all together. I have loved groups that made reading optional. When I first moved to this area I joined a group for women in ministry. The leaders recognized all the tasks we already had on our plate and offered our group as a duty/task respite. They would read the book and glean the deep truths and share the insights. It was a haven and I never felt wrong for showing up. That group was the inspiration for the "no reading require". Funny enough, I just realized, the first study I did with them was Sacred Rhythms. Now, the opposite is also true. If you are a reader and prefer to have already started processing information before a small group you are welcome to read the book. Or there is also an audio book option, according to Amazon you can get Sacred Rhythms for free with an Audible subscription.

How It Works:
We meet on Facebook, I go live every Thursday at 7:30 pm and I share the insights I've gleaned from that weeks' chapter. I also interact, ask questions, and respond to comments. Each chapter ends with a practical activity that I explain. If it is possible I direct us through the activity or leave it for others to try during the week.

About the Book:
The book has the subtitle of "Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation." Through the pages Barton is going to explain different spiritual practices, give ways to begin using those practices, and ultimately guide us to find a realistic balance to incorporate them into our lives. From the Amazon description:
Spiritual disciplines are activities that open us to God's transforming love and the changes that only God can bring about in our lives. Picking up on the monastic tradition of creating a "rule of life" that allows for regular space for the practice of the spiritual disciplines, this book takes you more deeply into understanding seven key disciplines along with practical ideas for weaving them into everyday life. Each chapter includes exercises to help you begin the practices - individually and in a group context. The final chapter puts it all together in a way that will help you arrange your life for spiritual transformation. The choice to establish your own sacred rhythm is the most important choice you can make with your life.
Reflections on the Introduction:
I believe this one quote sums up the heart of the book:
"I cannot transform myself...What I can do is create the conditions in which spiritual transformation can take place, by developing and maintaining a rhythm of spiritual practices that keep me open and available to God." Scared Rhythms, Introduction, p. 12
In the two sessions we've already had, I've read it a number of times. I expect I will continue go back to it. It is the key to everything we are gleaning from the pages and putting into practice in our lives. The reason for spiritual disciplines is to allow our souls to be open to God and to train ourselves to be still enough to listen when the answer comes.

Barton introduces two phrases to explain the same concept. I expect we'll see both phrases throughout the reading. They were both new to me,"sacred rhythm" and "rule of life". From some quick internet searching, I believe the first is her term and the second has a long history in Christian spirituality, which makes me curious how I had never heard of it before.
"A rule of life is a way of ordering our life around the values, practices, and relationships that keep us open and available to God for the work of spiritual transformation...Simply put, a rule of life provides structure and space for our growing. 
The phrase "spiritual rhythms" is another helpful way of talking about this important concept, because it provides relief from some of the heavy-handed and rigid approaches to the spiritual life that many have experience." Sacred Rhythms, Introduction, p. 14-15
She goes on to give examples of the natural rhythms found in creation from the ebb and flow of the tides to the passing of seasons. I like the seasons image especially showing that there is a predictability, order, times of change, times of returning, and also a newness, beauty and excitement in the returning of a season.

Chapter One - Longing for More: 
An Invitation to Spiritual Transformation
Have you noticed how often Jesus asks questions? Even more specifically, how often Jesus asks people what they want, what they desire? The interaction Barton highlights is between Jesus and the blind man, Bartimaeus. You can read about it in Mark 10:46-52. The same week I was reading this chapter, my Bible readings were looking in John and I remembered this conversation, John 1:35-38.

God cares about our desires? He wants to hear about them. He wants to us to be honest about our hopes and name our deep longings. It is in recognizing, owning, and speaking our desires that our spiritual journey begins.
 "You might think that your woundedness or your sinfulness is the truest thing about you or that your sinfulness or your personality type or your job title or your identity as husband or wife, father or mother, somehow define you. But in reality, it is your desire for God and your capacity to reach for more of God than you have right now that is the deepest essence of who you are."  Sacred Rhythms, Longing For More, p. 24
"The stirring of spiritual desire indicates that God's Spirit is already at work within us, drawing us to himself." Sacred Rhythms, Longing For More, p. 25
Next Barton showed that we have the need to be honest with God about ourselves not just about our godly desires but about all our desires including those desires we are ashamed of or want to hide, desires born in selfishness, pride, fear, etc. She gives the example of John and James making a ambitious request to sit at the right and left of Jesus.
"These desires lurk within all of us, and that is why giving any attention at all to desires feels like opening up Pandora's box. But it is even riskier to refuse to acknowledge what's real within us...Their power only gets stronger the longer we repress them. How much safer it is for ourselves and everyone around us if we open up our desires in Jesus' presence and allow him to help us sift through them.  
As disturbing as it is to be exposed in this way, sometime it is exactly what we need. For then Jesus can gently strip away that which is false and destructive in our desire and fan into flames those desires that are good and true."  Sacred Rhythms, Longing For More, p. 25
Sometimes the place we find freedom begins in the same cry as Bartimaeus, "Lord Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me..."

The Practical:
For this first practical experience, we are going to put ourselves into the story of Bartimaeus. To prepare find a position that feels comfortable. Next, still yourself, invite God into this time. Give yourself a moment to realize God is present.

When you are ready read the story of Bartimaeus' encounter with Jesus from Mark 10:46-52. Close your eyes, to help remove distractions, and imagine the scene to the best of your ability. If this is a new experience try thinking about what each of your sense would have experienced if you had been there. The smells and sounds of crowded people, the feel of the dirty path, the excitement of Jesus, the annoyance of the beggar yelling.

Now read the story again, this time imagine yourself as Bartimaeus or imagine your own place of need. In your need, how do you gain Jesus' attention? The questions Barton asks and next instructions are:
"How do you approach him or try and get his attention? What words do you use? What emotions do you feel? 
Imagine that in response to your cry, Jesus turns to you. Now you are face to face with one another. Allow yourself the full realization that you have Jesus' complete attention (because you do!) and hear this question addressed to you: "What do you want me to do for you?" 
Do not be afraid of emotions; it is important that you let yourself feel how deep your desire goes. You may need to sit with the question and your response for quite some time before you have fully gotten in touch with your heart's desire or have fully expressed it. Give this question and its answer all the time it needs." Sacred Rhythms, Longing For More, p. 28
As Barton mentions above, discovering your answer may take time. She suggests taking a walk or journalling. I will add to that list that running could also help, writing out your thoughts even if you don't journal, or working on a simple repetitive task. The first tasks I thought of were chores like peeling a bag of potatoes, or hand washing dishes, knitting, or hand sanding a wood project. It could be something like drawing or painting. Tasks that keep your body moving in simple motions but allow your mind to ponder. If you try writing Barton suggests starting with the sentence, "God, what I most need/want from you right now is..." And her last bit of advice,
"Don't feel as if you have to do anything; simply relish the intimacy and richness that comes when we are able to "be with what is" in God's presence." Sacred Rhythms, Longing For More, p. 28

Comments