Welcome to May's Mini Mythical Makeup Challenge

Hello Friends, ready for another makeup adventure? Last month I did the 30 Days of Makeup, in which I did a mini inspiration challenge using the Mane Six from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as the muse for the makeup for six days. This was my favourite part of the makeup month and I decided I wanted to have another inspiration challenge in May. It has taken me longer than I had intended to prepare for the challenge, but it is ready at last.

I was going to join the lovely Kate on a ten look makeup with the inspirations being: werewolf, witch, vampire, mermaid, dryad, dragon, fae, ghost, angel, and demon. The trouble there were almost half that I either didn't want to try (like demon) or didn't have a clue how to demonstrate (werewolf, aside: Kate if you are reading this, I loved your werewolf makeup). But I liked the idea of a few of the other looks; the mermaid, fae, and dryad were my favourites. So, I came up with my own, extended inspiration list using fifteen fantasy creatures as the inspiration.

Your Invitation to Join the Fun of the Mini Mythical Challenge.
I'm really excited about the theme for this makeup challenge and I want to share it. If you are interested in makeup, nail art, or if you like art and want to use the fifteen creatures to inspire your creativity, I invite you to join on this inspiration challenge. Oooooo....I just had another idea, if you're a creative writer you could use the creature as a focal point of a short story. If any of that interests you I welcome you to participate in the fun.

Here's how it will work:
  1. Each day, for the next 15 days, you will create your makeup look (or other creative expression).
  2. Share the image or writing on a platform of your choice ie: your personal blog, Instagram, Facebook, DiviantArt, or something similar. I know I am not aware of all the possible options.
  3. Visit my blog to find that day's inspirational post. The post will include a Mr. Linky for you to share the URL back to your expression of the challenge. I will be aiming to post by 7:00 am everyday. 
A few other thoughts:
  • This is meant to be fun.
  • There is no order that needs to be followed. I am going to be random in my choices. You can do the same thing or go alphabetically, or even reverse alphabetically. 
  • If posting everyday is too much but you still want to participate it is okay. Share your creativity on the days you can. 
  • In the same way, I understand not all the creatures will appeal to everyone. Only do the ones that interest you. Again, this is suppose to be fun.

Here are the fifteen fantasy creatives at the heart of May's Mythical Makeup Challenge:

Some Extra Fun - A Guessing Game:
One of the surprising enjoyments to come out of the MLP inspiration was a small ritual I developed with my sister. Each morning, after the look was completed, I would send her a selfie of the makeup with no explanation. She would send back her guess for which pony was the inspiration. I enjoyed the game so much I am going to attempt to recreate the feel on the blog.

I think the best way to accomplish this goal will be to post that day's makeup look in the morning with no explanation. For the those who want to play, I invite you to guess which myth was the inspiration in the comments. In the evening of that same day, probably after 11:00 pm, I post again with the answer to which creature was my inspiration and the description of how I created the look and the products used. It is the second part I find the most tedious. Does anyone enjoy having that information? If you find it interesting and fun I'll keep it but if no one cares I'll just share a few thoughts about the make up. So please let me know what you prefer in the comments.

Artist Credit:
While I was making the graphic for the challenge I used google to find each of the creatures images. At the time I didn't think to save the site information to give the original artists credit for their work. None of the creature thumbnails were done by me. Before the end of the weekend I will have gathered the necessary information to share the sources for the art and when possible give credit to the original creators. When I have I will share that information here an on a separate post.

The May's Mythical Makeup Days Links:
To help you find the daily (7:00 am) challenge post with the Mr Linky to share your versions of the challenge I've added the list below. I will be updating the links daily before lunch each day.

Day 1: May 15 - Naiad
Day 2 -May 16 - Dryad
Day 3 -May 17 - Will-'o-the-Wisp
Day 4 -May 18 - Pegasus
Day 5 -May 19 - Banshee
Day 6: May 20 - Sphinx
Day 7: May 21 - Unicorn
Day 8: May 22 - Fairy
Day 9: May 23 - Medusa
Day 10: May 24 - Valkyrie
Day 11: May 25 - Phoenix
Day 12: May 26 - Griffin
Day 13: May 27 - Dragon
Day 14: May 28 - Mermaid
Day 15: May 29 - Elf

Comments