Two Thousand

Two blog related things happened this past week that were independent yet seemed, at least to me, to overlap. First, I signed up for a free two-month trial of Skill Share. I made the decision in order to support a cosplay vlogger I enjoy and because I was feeling inspired to sew and there are some patterning and basic sewing tutorials. I’ve also wanted to go through the drawing and watercolour courses. In my exploring of the available classes I watch several blogging related videos. I am excited to try a few and feeling motived to hone my writing craft. Other courses had the opposite effect. I got discouraged, like I blog wrong. My blog doesn’t have a dedicated theme or topic (i.e. I only write about games, or movies, or crafts, or any other solitary topic); I haven’t defined my platform. To be “successful” my articles need to be longer, they lack a unique yet clear angle, and there is no marketing to reach my audience. That might be my biggest flaw, that I haven’t monetized my hobby.

Second, I realized I was quickly approaching my two thousandth post, this post in fact. Which is extremely exciting, a major blogging milestone, and I began convincing myself this is an event that required some epic writing to mark the event. So much for not putting undue pressure on myself. And the more I wanted to write something great the less I could come up with a topic or angle for this two thousandth post. The added dark emotions of not being a “successful” blogger didn’t help the creativity. Amid these dark feelings of failure, the desire to come up with an epic concept, and my own expectation to have excellent writing, I decided to increase the pressure by setting a very unrealistic posting schedule. Not only am I working on this post but the revised 40 Before 40 and a new makeup challenge for May. On Wednesday I had hoped to have all three up Friday, May 1st. I then planned to post this article which hadn’t been written yet on the first, the makeup explanation (also not written) on the second, and the 40 Before 40 today on the third. That hasn’t happened and with each passing day my ability to write has shriveled. I think I could do a whole blog on just adding undue pressure and perfectionist expectations. The post I had been so excited to celebrate was quickly becoming a chore I dreaded. Even with the helpful suggestions from friends on Facebook, I wasn’t satisfied in any of my ideas (music tangent, I now have Hamilton stuck in my head, “I will never be satisfied”). I started and deleted attempt after attempt. I was frustrated, fatigued, and furious at myself. It seemed ridiculous, and I was feeling hopeless and wanting to give up, yet still wanting to write. It was an odd juxtaposition.

After discarding yet another idea, I decided to reconsider the suggestion of doing some sort of Bowl of Stew(art) Top Ten. Thus, began a long journey down the rabbit hole of past blog posts. It went all over the place. It was fun, a true “blast from the past.” I loved reading old comments, remembering earlier adventures, and reading articles I had completely forgotten about. Hours later I concluded that I like my blog, I enjoy what I’ve done and look forward to continuing.

It took me longer than it should have to realize that I don’t blog for “success.” My motivation isn’t to create a business or promote a product. I am not trying to diversify into revenue streams or even get published. The last would be nice, but I got into blogging to stay connected with friends and family, and to share thoughts and life happenings. This is a hobby that, as long as I don’t put unrealistic pressure on myself, I really enjoy.

Why does every hobby need to be monetized? I enjoy writing. It may never lead to fame and fortune. Hobbies don’t need to be capitalized on. It is okay to participate in an activity as an amateur for the simple love of the activity. Success or blogger fame was not the reason I started writing. I wrote for friends and family. I wrote to stay connected, capture thoughts, and share my interests. I like people reading my articles. I enjoyed the days when the comments were an ongoing conversation with readers. It would be nice for Bowl of Stew(art) to have a wider audience but that still isn’t my motivation. I need to remember this. I can write for the simple reason that I enjoy sharing stories and ideas. I can learn and grown in my writing skills. I can seek help with the editing (because that is not my strength). I will take a skill share course or two, as long as it is enhancing the hobby, not ruining what I actually enjoy about writing.
After all that reading and reviewing so many old blog articles, I also came up with some lists, a few achievement related ideas, and a few new topics for the coming months. I am also wondering if I should start thinking about a name change for the blog. If you haven’t heard, I’m getting married and while we haven’t decided how we’re going to handle the last names. I am leaning towards changing my name and that would make me no longer a Stewart; would this still be a Bowl of Stew(art)? What do you think?

Some Other Significant Blog Milestones:
1. First Post: Conforming
2. 100th Post: Mom-eries
3. 500th Post New Dilemma (there is nothing about being the 500th post, I didn't notice till 505)
4. 505th Post: 505
5. 1000th Post: One Thousand
6. 10th Year Blogging: 33 + 1400 X 10 = HAPPY BIRTHDAY
7. 15th Year: 15 Years

The Best Of The Year
I really liked that I did a “Best of Year” posts in 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2014 recapping my favourite pieces from the passing year. I am sad I didn’t do that for every year. I’m thinking that I could commemorate the blog’s 15th year doing a series of posts that are “Best of Year” for the past fifteen years for the missing years.
Best of Bowl of Stew(art) 2007
Best of Bowl of Stew(art) 2010
Best of Bowl of Stew(art) 2011
Best of Bowl of Stew(art) 2014

My Top Ten Favourite Themes/Series:
I didn’t use labels in the early days of blogging. I don’t even remember if they were available. I am thinking of slowly going back and adding some groups, adventures, and specific blogs to make finding some content easier.  What do you think? Is that too crazy? It might be too tedious.
1. Thankful Thursday
2. FamJam 2018, really of any family trip this was the only one I gave a label
3. The Story of Us
4. TWA: Talking with an Atheist
5. MLP Makeup
6. Abby Stories this was from before I started using labels
7. Rate the Fun Game Reviews
8. Movie Reviews
9. Tuesday Tutorials
10. The Doctor Who Christmas Countdown

Ten Posts I Enjoyed Finding While Writing This Post:
1. Adventure is Calling from November 14, 2017
2. Tuesday Tutorial: Pool Noodle Horses from June 16, 2015
3. Blackout Bible Study from January 24, 2015
4. An Ode to Pumpkin Pie and the Garden from October 15, 2014
5. Talking with Kids about Talking Donkeys from April 2, 2012
6. The Next Adventure from April 27, 2011
7. Quote of the Month from October 31, 2010
8. Thot of the Week from May 27, 2009
9. Omnipotent Liz? from June 18, 2008
10. Twice Upon a Time... from May 21, 2007

The Top Ten Most Popular Bowl of Stew(art) Of All Time:
This is according to the Google analytics, which at times don't seem all that accurate to me. I have two other traffic trackers. The numbers between the three never lined up. I went with google's because it was the only one that gave numbers on specific posts. I can see why the Easter Egg Hunt and the Advent Wreath are popular and still getting views. There a links for both activities on Pinterest. The rest leave me baffled.
1. Thankful Thursday #51
2. Thankful Thursday 80-89
3. I ♥ COTTON CANDY
4. The 720 Easter Egg Hunt Part 3: Decorating the Space
5. Kidsworld Crafts: Advent Wreath
6. The Simple Woman Daybook 90
7. Games Day with Meeples to Go
8. The Tenth Doctor
9. Joyful Re-Finding
10. 40 Before 40

Thank you Reader for joining me on my writing adventures. Hope you stick around for the next two thousand posts.

Comments

Sween said…
+1 to "Hobbies don't need to be monetized". Talk about a source of undue pressure!