Tuesday Tutorial: Doctor Who Snowflakes

Happy Tuesday, welcome to day 9 of the Whovian Countdown! As I was preparing for today's tutorial I found the official BBC Countdown to Christmas! It is a beautifully fun online Doctor Who Advent calendar with a new treat each day. It is where I got the new blog banner. You should check it out and now on with the tutorial.

Over the last few years I've been seeing these amazing geek snowflakes. The first ones I saw were beautiful Star Wars designs, then one of the Enterprise, but I got really excited when I saw Doctor Who snowflakes. I've wanted to try am make some ever since. I thought Tuesday Tutorial was the perfect chance to try.

Supplies: white paper, a pencil and eraser, scissors or an exacto knife, and string

Step 1: Fold Paper
Start with a square piece of paper and fold it however you like to fold to make a snowflake. As a kid I always make "four point" folds because it was easier. Thanks to the internet and Google I've discovered how to make "six point" snowflakes. You can find your choice of tutorials here. I used the Instructables: How to Make 6-Pointed Paper Snowflakes tutorial. This image, steps 4-5, is from that site:
Step 4-5.jpg

Step 2: Draw Template
You could draw your own design or use one of the many patterns online:
  • Oodly Crafting has a TARDIS, Cyberman, Ood, and Dale pattern.
  • Just Folk Art has images of their Adipose and Weeping Angel that could be used as a guide.
  • Epic Geekdom has a great assortment of patterns
  • There are also these. I tried to find the original source but could not:
 
Step 3: Cut Out
I only had scissors; the TARDIS was too thick to cut out. I will need to wait till I have access to an exacta knife.

Step 4: Hang And Enjoy!

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial; there will be a new one next Tuesday. And if you are interested last week's tutorial was Mini TARDIS Ornaments.

Countdown Till Christmas Special Airs: 16 sleeps
BBC Countdown to Christmas: Here
Countdown Till Sister Hugs and Family Visit: 16 sleeps
Countdown Till This Whovian sees the Christmas Special: 17 sleeps
Tomorrow's Countdown Post:The 2nd installment of "Whovian Wear"
Yesterday's Countdown Post: Merry Whovian Countdown Monday
Episodes Watched Today:  Human Nature, The Family of Blood, Blink, Utopia, The Sound of Drums, and Last of the Time Lords

Comments