Farewell 38 -Final Look at the 38 While 38

This is my last day as 38. What a year! I had cosplay adventures with mum, tried online dating and then met my person standing in line at a comic con, visited Nova Scotia -twice, and got engaged!!! It has not been a perfect year. There was sorrow and sad goodbyes. But it was a good year full of blessings.

Looking back on the challenges, I am overjoyed with the results. A friend commented this week that I set too many ridiculous goals for myself (their not wrong, my My Little Pony makeup challenge was a bit much and ridiculous). The thing is these birthday bucket list challenges have lead to some of the best adventures, new skills, and sweetest memories. I've never completed a whole list but I accomplish more then I would have without the goals.

This is the results of this years challenge:


Challenge Legend:
Black =have not started
Green =just started or have a plan
Blue =in progress and success is possible
Purple =VICTORY!

1. Pray for 40 Days
I finished just before Easter.

2. Read 10 Non-Fiction Books
I read four books. I have five on the go.

3. Read the Whole Bible
I finished reading in February. And started a new year reading plan.

4. Dance...a lot
Alex and I signed up for dance classes! We also had the first lesson. The rest are on hold during this time social distancing because of covid-19. Because we are set to continue as soon as this current situation has passed I'm going to count this as a win.

5. Be a Amazon (get physically fit)
Health and active living are an ongoing thing. Success or failure isn't in the milestones but in the continuing. I have further to go but I count this year a success because I am in a better place that I was a year ago.
 
6. Take a leap of faith
I did another similar thing. It did not end in success and I am still not ready to really talk about it. But I took a leap and I will do it again.

7. GM at a Con
The event I was going to be a GM for has been postponed due to covid. It makes me sad but it can't be helped.

8. Cosplay as Mera
This challenge was abandoned awhile back.
 
9. Maxing all Spanish lessons (up to 2nd level) on Duolingo
I finished with 142 crowns. I only managed to max 11 units and still had a number in level two to level up.

10. Hug a baby animal
I hugged a puppy!!!

11. Find Wonder
Much wonder is the joys of life.

12. Be Spontaneous
At the end of August I spontaneously agreed to doing a selfie a day challenge for 30 days. It was completely on a whim and I wasn't actually sure I would make the whole month but I did. It wasn't 'til the last day of September that I realized how spontaneous the self set goal had been and decided it qualified at a success for this challenge. Then I did a month of thankfulness. And I'm currently in a month of makeup which had the very spontaneous decision to have a My Little Pony makeup challenge.

13. Go on an adventure
Alex and I traveled to NS in October where he proposed. Both were very much adventures.

14. Visit Petawawa
Was hoping to take a drive up to the town over March Break but this is another "not happening" because of covid-19.

15. Go on a 8 km Hike
Well, close enough we did 7 km walk today then to go star gazing we did another km to finish this challenge.

16. Go on Three Dates (with the same person)
I've almost lost count of how many dates Alex and I have gone on.

17. Revamp this blog
The blog got a new colour scheme and template January 20, 2020

18. Make a vlog
I made a Kid's Time video; it is Sunday School at home while all my church's services are moving to digital realm.

19. Blog 100 times
I've blogged 149 since my birthday, this post will make 150!

20. Memorize a whole Bible chapter
With the help of the Bible Memory App I have memorized 1 Corinthians 13, Psalm 1, and Psalm 23. Still working on Romans 12.

21. Go skydiving
For the same financial reasons Mera is going to have to wait, I think this is going to have to wait.

22. Scrapbook the Alaska trip
I still need to order the project life sheets. But I sketched layout ideas.
  
23. Make cards with Mum regularly
Mum and I regularly made cards in the fall. Once we can visit again we're going to get back to it.

24. Try online dating
About a week after my birthday I signed up for three different dating services. Since I wasn't willing to pay for the services I only got waves I couldn't respond too and messages from men that seemed more interested in my ability to provide a green card. About a week later I attend comic con, met Alex, and no longer needed to look at the sites.

25. Go rock climbing (indoor or outdoor)
We have been talking about going to an indoor location but that is on hold indefinitely

26. Visit an Art Gallery

27. Hug a friend I haven't seen awhile (like more than two years)
In September, while lining up for the Rend Collective concert I heard someone say, "Hey, is that Elizabeth." Since everyone since college days and most people in high school call me "Liz" I didn't even turn. I then was walking the line looking for Sister when I heard, "Yes, I think it is Elizabeth Stewart." I turned and there was a friend from high school I haven't seen in 19 years. Of course there were hugs and this selfie as proof:

28. Have $1000 in savings
Still saving!

29. Go star gazing
We walked around our block tonight to catch a few stars.

30. Read Comics
I did read as many as I had expected but I did read some Aquaman, Thor, Saga, and Lumberjanes this year. I'm working through Thor now, I have back issues of Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Justice League (all from the start of Rebirth). 


31. Paint the canvas
The canvas has been found and is in my apartment. I think this challenge will be added to the 40 Before 40 challenge.

32. Try something new
I have tried a new food Pho, tried making pho, new games, vlogging, online storytelling, new things with makeup, the sword fighting class last fall called Shieldmaiden class; it has been a year of new things.

33. Attempt to publish my children's stories
Um...nope, still has not happened

34. Watercolour more
I painted once, which is a technical win since it was once more than I would have painted without this goal.

35. Have a great Sister day!
We have done Sister things, not a whole day because of schedules and life but the point was to do awesome things with my Sister and we've had those times.

36. Play all my games at least once
We started setting up the last game at 10:40...we played into Birthday day but we did it. We played all 103 games.

37. Journal regularly again
I've been journaling daily with the 40 days of prayer.

38. Enjoy 38 flavours of ice cream
The 38 flavours were: birthday cake, vanilla, and banana split pie, apple pie, peanut butter cup, super kid, marshmallow, pumpkin, grapenut, moonmist (but it wasn't how I remembered it as a kid), strawberry, pink grapefruit, lime sherbet, black cherry, cookie and cream, shortbread, chocolate chip cookie dough, mocha double double, egg nog, candy cane, raspberry cheesecake, mint chocolate chip, pistachio, salted almond honeycomb, heavenly hash, moose tracks, love potion 31, icing on the cake, black raspberry thunder, match green tea, dulce de leche, maple walnut, caramel macchiato, Netflix and chill'd, pineapple and coconut, chocolate milk and cookies, white chocolate and raspberry, and sour patch kids!

Final Thoughts:
I am pleased as punch. I finished four challenges today, a few unexpectedly. I can't wait to share an updated version of the 40 Before 40.

Comments