Makeup Month! Day 1

Back in 2017 I started my biggest birthday bucket list challenge, the 40 Before 40. At the time I knew that some of the big things I wanted to accomplish before my 40th birthday would require more time.

One of the challenges I have been looking forward to attempting is #39: 30 Days of Makeup. The details I laid out for the original goal are: I will leave the house with makeup on everyday, remove makeup and care for my skin each night, and try six new looks or techniques.

In an average year I wear makeup three times, the church Christmas party, Christmas Eve, and all Comic-Con weekend because of cosplay. I by no means consider myself a makeup expert (#notabeautyguru) or even very proficient. I admire women who can use eyeliner, make a beautiful smokey eye, or know their foundation colour. These are skills I've longed to develop. Over the years wise friends have helped. Cosplay has also helped. Because of different characters I have tried new things; three years ago I got over my fear of eyelash curlers and last year I tried fake eyelashes (cosplay was a giant motivator for that).

The next thirty days I'm going to break the average. I will be wearing makeup everyday. I won't be leaving the house but most days I have been doing a live storytime on Facebook or shooting video for the church's kids' ministry. I will be capturing each look and sharing it on this blog. I'll be starting and ending the day with a skincare routine. And I'm going to attempt to learn some new skills through out the month.

Day Ones Look: I've already gone almost two weeks wearing makeup daily. It's been for the live stream and kids' videos we've been making. It has helped me learn what foundation colours work for me. The first days my bronzer was a shade too dark and I looked...odd. This is my standard makeup look. There is a bit more foundation that I would wear for an out and about look but it works for the filming.

The eyes are neutrals without an eyeliner because eyeliner scares me. I'm wearing my favourite lipstick by Smashbox called primrose. I got a mini tube as a sample two years ago for something I needed to look fancy. It has been come my go to lipstick, so much that I bought a proper tube. Which was really good since I lost the cute mini sample at some point this past winter.

I've also been keeping up with the skincare. My morning routine starts with an oil based wash/soap, a toner, then finally a moisturizer. The evenings are almost the same with an eye cream and a night cream. I had expected some breakouts from starting using the products regularly. They're almost all things I've used off and on for the past five years. What is concerning me is I think my skin is having more than a breakout reaction to something. I know I need to stop using whatever the product is but I also need to keep my face clean after wearing so much makeup. I am concerned.

Comments